Thermometers are simple instruments. They react to the environment and display a number that indicates the temperature. Thermometers have no control.
Thermostats are a bit different. They set a number that dictates the temperature, and the environment responds to it. Thermostats have complete control.
People, in a way, can be likened to thermometers and thermostats.
- Thermometers are victims of circumstance. Thermostats are creators of circumstance.
- Thermometers are followers. Thermostats are trend-setters.
- Things happen to thermometers. Things happen for thermostats.
- Thermometers deflect responsibility. Thermostats take responsibility.
- In the end, thermometers are the losers of life while thermostats are the winners of life.